Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A Little Something I Wrote

This is a little something I wrote a while back. Sometimes I write scenes that I just know will never make their way into my stories. This is one of them. (Note: It's supposed to be a flashback moment into a character's childhood, so I've kept the language as simple as possible.)
I’d met Hallow and Megan in kindergarten. My mind traveled back to that day. I’d been sitting quietly in a corner of the yard, playing all by myself with a rag doll.


Two girls headed near to where I was. One had chin-length wheat-colored blond hair and the other, long wavy chocolate brown hair. They stopped a few yards short of me. From what I could hear, they wanted to play a game that involved holding hands and going round in circles. I kept stealing glances at them but didn’t dare go over and ask if they would let me play with them too. They looked like they were having so much fun.

As I stole yet one more wishful glance at them, the blond girl caught me looking. I quickly averted my gaze, pretending to be very busy with my rag doll. From the corner of my eye, I could see that the two girls had stopped playing and that I had become the center of their attention. They stood whispering for half a minute and then to my surprise, came over to where I was sitting, hand in hand. 

The blond girl held out a hand at me. “D’you wanna play with us?”
Shocked, I stared at her outheld hand and then looked up into her huge smiling blue eyes.

“Yeah, we’d really like it, if you’d come play with us.” My gaze switched to warm inviting dark brown eyes. The other girl with the chocolate brown hair sounded shy, just like me. She pushed her glasses up on her nose and held out a hand to me.

“I’d be glad to,” I said finally. I got up, took their hands in mine and since then, we’d never let go of each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment