Monday, May 21, 2012

The Risky Business Of Writing

About three weeks ago, I ditched my cubicle job in a global company to try and write full-time. Probably suicidal career-wise, I'll give you that. But, I have to know if I can do right by my obsessive need to write those stories that keep running around on their overactive little feet in my head.

The key to writing is hard work and discipline - you sit your ass down on that chair and you write every single day. It's simple. One word after the other, day after day, on that blank white space - not really rocket science, is it? I've been trying to do just that for the past three weeks and I've succeeded...somewhat moderately. I'm down to Chapter 4.5 (I'm not quite sure whether to leave that scene to Chapter 4 or 5, so it's 4.5 for the time being).

Three weeks into the experience, all I have to say is that being a writer absolutely sucks. Because writing is a b*tch hard. Some days not a word comes to my mind and what I've written so far feels like crap. Plus, I don't know a thing about plotting a good story - I have some good ideas but weaving it into a good storyline? Uh-uh. A whole different kettle of fish. So right about then, I ask myself if I took the right decision. And you know what? Though writing is sometimes akin to torture and gives me horrible headaches, there's nothing else I'd rather be doing.

So, if you're about to go copycat on my move and give the boot to the job to go into full-time writing, think about it. Not once. Not twice. A million times. I know I did - it took me three months to take the BIG LEAP. If you think you want to write, make sure there's nothing else you'd rather be doing than writing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment